How to Move Antique Furniture - Furniture Movers in Melbourne
Moving Antique Furntiture , Made Easy with a Furniture Removalist
It’s easy to get anxious about the safety of your personal possessions during a move, particularly when valuable antique furniture is involved.
Repairing an antique piece of furniture is often a very pricey task. Even the smallest amount of damage can significantly impact the value of the item. For these pieces, it is best to enlist the help of an expert furniture removalist. However, if you must do it yourself, then here are some hard-and-fast rules to follow.
Create a Plan
Never move a valuable item on a whim. Create an inventory of your possessions taking particular note of the antique items so your movers know exactly what requires moving.
Use this when you arrive at your new home to check off the items to ensure they have arrived. It is important to plan where they will go in the new house to minimise the amount of times they are moved and the potential for damage.
Antiques are often heavy, so be sure to have plenty of people to help. Assign one person to be the spotter to warn for any potential danger.
Package, Package & Package
Before applying protective packaging, empty any furniture and remove any items like casters, claw feet, doors, doorknobs etc. If your item has glass doors, place pillows or moving blankets inside to protect the glass and minimise shock and vibrations. Ensure the item is thoroughly protected before attempting to move it.
- Surface protection: Wrap the item first with soft packing paper and then wrap with plastic wrap. This will protect the item from scratches, dust, dirt and moisture.
- Shock protection: Cover the item completely with thick moving blankets. This will help to absorb shock and vibrations while in transit.
- Outer protection: A wooden crate would be preferable to provide a hard shell. If you are not able to use a wooden crate, then wrap the item in the thickest cardboard you can find.
It’s a good idea to rent a moving dolly to assist in moving the item. Never drag the item as this can cause damage. Ensure you have plenty of roped and straps to secure the item into the moving vehicle.
If you’d rather just leave it in the hands of the professionals, contact John Ryan Removals, the leading furniture movers in Melbourne. John Ryan Removals are the experts in interstate furniture removals, so no matter the distance, you can rest easy knowing your most precious items will be transported damage free.
1. How to Select the Best Removalist Company
2. Planning for a Tree Change or Sea change? Choose the Right Removalist Company in Melbourne.
3. Moving House? Ways to Label Your Furniture and Cartons
4. How to Move a Pool Table