Ineligible Items You Should Take Note Of
Preparing for your removal - what can't be moved
To avoid disappointment on your moving day, it is important to know what items can and can’t be moved by the removalist. Some items that can be moved may have to be properly prepared prior to the move. And in some instances, you may have to have a qualified tradesman attend to your property.
Items Requiring Special Attention
- Gas BBQ bottles
- Pool Chemicals
- Lawnmowers or other gardening equipment containing flammable liquids
- Fire Extinguishers
- Washing machine
- Prohibited dangerous goods
- Plants (Certificates are required for moving plants to Tasmania and Western Australia)
- Items in unclean condition.
- Firearms - John Ryan Removals will move and store firearms for clients providing they hold current and appropriate licences, conditional such weapons have been rendered inoperable and unloaded. Ammunition and its components will not be moved or stored under any circumstances.
However, there are steps you can take to make it possible to have the removal company move them for you.
- BBQ gas cylinders will not be carried by a removalist unless you can provide a certificate from a Gas Cylinder Test Station certified by Standards Australia, stating the cylinder has been purged. You should never burn off the gas nor simply release the gas into the atmosphere. Gas is heavy and will not dissipate making an explosion a distinct possibility.
- Lawnmowers and other gardening equipment should have the petrol drained from the tanks. If you are sending these items interstate or into store, they will also need to be steam cleaned.
- Contact the company who made your washing machine to find out what you need to do to ensure it is prepared for removal.
In line with Occupational Health & Safety requirements, and to ensure the safety of your goods and those of others, John Ryan Removals are not permitted to carry the items listed below, due to the fact that damage and/or serious injury may be caused:
- Cleaning solvents, kerosene, methylated spirits, paint strippers, petrol, turpentine
- Aerosol Cans
- Cooking Oils
- Liquid Chlorine
- Photographic Chemicals
- Poisonous, Toxic, Flammable or Corrosive Liquids