Moving House? Ways to Label Your Furniture and Cartons
Labeling Clearly Helps Ensure a Smooth House Moving Service & Experience
It’s no secret that moving house can be one of the most stressful things you'll ever do. But the good news is, with a little preparation you can feel organised and ultimately save yourself time and eliminate stress.
Even if you're using a house removal company, there are a number of steps you should take to ensure that all your belongings are kept safe and end up exactly where they're supposed to.
Create a Labelling System
Start by developing a system for how you are going to label your boxes, to ensure that your house removalists know exactly where to deliver them to, and also to help you once you unpack. Are you going to use colour coding? Or numbering? Or both? Decide at the beginning and then stick to this method to ensure consistency.
Get Your Labelling Tools Ready
Find some printable label templates online (you can check out Pinterest for inspiration) or use quality coloured markers to write directly on each box.
Ready, Set, Label!
Here's a few ways to label your boxes which will assist both you and your furniture removalists:
- Number each box individually (1 of 15, 2 of 15 etc). This makes it easy to see if a box has become lost in transit well before it's time to unpack.
- Use colour coding to identify which room the box belongs in (eg. blue for the bedroom, red for the kitchen) and share this system with your removalists. This way they'll know exactly where to leave each box.
- Set a priority for each box, High, Medium or Low. Boxes marked High should be unpacked first (these will be the essential items you need day to day), Medium boxes can be unpacked more slowly, and Low boxes left until last.
- Include a brief list of contents on each box (eg. Cups and Glasses, or Spirits and Wine).
- You might also like to add an arrow to indicate which way up the box should be placed, plus a FRAGILE label, to make sure the removalists take extra care.
Make sure you label your boxes as you go. Don’t leave it until the end when they’re all packed otherwise there’s a high chance you’ll forget the contents of each one, which will just add to the confusion and stress.
Also, it is essential to label the boxes on the sides rather than on the top. That way you and your removalists can still see all of the relevant information, even when they're stacked up.
Keep Track with Lists
For quick reference, write up a series of inventory lists so you can easily check the contents of each box eg. Box 1/Red contains "Three pots, two fry pans and one baking dish". This will save lots of time when you need to find one particular item quickly, rather than rummaging through a whole bunch of boxes.
If in Doubt, Leave it to the Professionals
Packing up your entire life into boxes is a daunting task. If you’re really concerned you can’t manage it alone, contact John Ryan Removals, the leading house removalists in Melbourne.
The efficiency, safety, insurance, and peace of mind you get from hiring a professional house moving service to take care of this task is worth every penny. Contact our friendly customer service team for an obligation free quote.